Saturday, March 17, 2007

Aaron Pritchett Fan Cruise - Mexico - Feb. 26 to Mar. 4




What makes my life so cool these days is my lack of routine. I hate routine. My life is laid out for me in a daytimer. Most people have a general idea of where they need to be during their work days. My life is in a different place - different city - different gig - different style of music - different instrument almost every day. This keeps me on my toes - vibrant and loving what I do more and more. I mark down the appointed engagements in my daytimer and then generally forget about them - a way of downloading so I can keep my mind (or operating system) functioning at optimum efficiency for the tasks at hand.

So when you look at the daytimer and realize the gig for the next week is a cruise through the Mexican Riviera where your workload consists of a couple of one hour concerts - well as you can imagine it is a nice surprise. To add to the jubilance - my wife, my Dad and his girlfriend are coming with me.

This was a "fan cruise" featuring Aaron Pritchett and a couple hundred of his close friends and fans. This was a chance to get to know him - sign autographs, get pictures and enjoy a cruise. My wife Wendy who rarely attends Aaron Pritchett shows finally got a chance to check out what the gig is all about. She met some of the hardcore fan club and even made some new friends.

When the onboard PA system proved to be more of a hinderance than a convenience, our better judgement prevailed and both our shows turned out to be as acoustic as it gets - three guitars, three voices - no mics or speakers - "without all the assistance" as Buddy Rich said on the infamous outtakes. It turned out well - the gang seemed to like it which is good. We debuted three new tunes that Aaron and Mitch wrote with some of Nashville's finest writers.

We hung around onboard - saw the shows (big Vegas medleys always amuse me), gambled, watched karaoke singers butcher Neil Sedaka and got to hang with a buch of cool people.

So after some ample buffets, sun, trips to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas ("Let me take you down, I will show you all around...) we bid goodbye to the Carnival Pride. I enjoyed it.

Lucky for me.

No comments: